A Project is a temporary endeavour set up to achieve one or more unique and specific objective(s) - that is how I define a project to be. Now, while talking about a project, we'll have to definitely consider the definition put forward by some of the premier institutions on the subject of project management.
The PMI defines project as:
It's a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result.
PRINce2 defines a project as:
A temporary organization that is created for the purpose of delivering one or more business products according to an agreed Business Case.
Features of a Project
Both the definitions points towards a few key points, indicated by the use of a few keywords: "temporary", "endeavour", "unique", "specific", "objective". These are the most important features of a project. There are however, other features of a project. Let's take a look at some of the key features of a project:
- A project is something very unique
- A project is set up to achieve a specific objective
- A project is something that does not last forever
- A project would have a specific start date
- A project may have a specific end date or a delivery deadline
- A project generally consists of completing a number of tasks
- A project generally involves a budget
- A project will have people involved - in the form of teams
Examples of Projects
Abstract things are sometimes very easy to understand through examples. Let's take a look at a few examples of projects:
- Light Rail: Building of the light-rail system to connect my city to its airport was definitely a grand project for the whole region.
- Building Construction: This famous construction company is engaged in a luxury multi-purpose building construction project that will change the face of our neighbourhood.
- Mobile App Development: I know this girl, who's managing a project on payment processing through their company's mobile app. That is a digital project.
- Website Redesign: One of my colleague's working on redesigning an e-commerce website. This is another digital project.
- 3D Game Development: My friend from school is working on this cool 3D game to be released this summer on Oculus Rift. That is definitely a project with a strict deadline.
- My first Music Album: I'm working with my local garage band to get this done and it is my most-passionate project.
- My friend's second Art Exhibition: My friend has given her heart and soul into this project.
- Renovation of my house: I'm scared of this project, the budget is beyond my comprehension, the timeline is too long and the house will be a mess all through this time. But, I don't have an option as the old house is already in shambles.
- Building of Egypt's Pyramids: A remarkable achievement of a bygone era, that we marvel even today. These were some of the very first projects that we know of today.
These are by no means a good representation of all the various types of projects that we could have, but these definitely show how diverse projects could be.
- What are the key aspects of Project Management?
- What are the various types of Projects?
- Who are the people involved in a Waterfall Project?
- Who is a Stakeholder?
- Who are the people involved in an Agile Project?